If you have recently been diagnosed with neuropathy, there are several things you’ll need to think about. The most important one perhaps is how to find the best neuropathy doctors in New York.
What Is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is any diseased state of the nervous system which causes pain, numbness or discomfort especially in the hands, feet or any other parts of the body. Damage to nerves causes the condition. There several causes of neuropathies including alcoholism, toxic substances, infections, inherited disorders and malnutrition. The most common type of neuropathy is peripheral neuropathy which is commonly caused by diabetes mellitus and cancer or the treatment received.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
The symptoms of Peripheral neuropathy depend on the nerves affected. It can affect the sensory nerves that let you sense temperature, pain or touch, or the motor nerves that control movement, and the autonomic nerves that regulate the blood pressure, digestion, and the bladder.
Symptoms of peripheral neuropathy include:
- An onset of numbness or tingling in your hands or feet which may progress toward your arms or legs.
- Sharp cramping, pain or burning in the hands, feet or calf muscles.
- Extreme sensitivity to touch or temperature.
- Loss of reflexes and muscle mass in the hands and feet
- A weakness of the muscles or paralysis especially in the feet or hands.
- Loss of coordination or falling
- Dizziness, or fainting
- Sexual dysfunction.
- Incontinence bladder and difficulty urinating
- Heat intolerance and reduced sweating
- Bowel and digestive problems.
What a Specialist Can Do for You
The most qualified neuropathy doctors New York residents can find will provide many benefits which include:
- Provide comprehensive clinical consultations and the latest neuropathy treatment options
- Has high experience in treating peripheral neuropathy.
- Has expert knowledge with regard to evaluation, prognoses, and quality of life issues
- Has encountered many neuropathy patients, and probably has a wide range of experience with virtually all symptoms and nearly all treatment side effects.
Finding A Neuropathy Doctor
Choosing the most reliable neuropathy doctors New York offers will save you money and time as well as giving you power over your health. Here are some tips.
Get options: ask for recommendations from your General Practitioner, co-workers, and family that have experience dealing with a neuropathy specialist. It is important to get a few options for comparison.
Competency: a board-certified specialist is a good indication of proper training and competency by completing residency training in neuropathy having graduated from medical school.
Make some calls: Call several specialists to find out where their practice is located, their availability and accessibility and wait-list time for an appointment. You should ask the doctor how many patients they have treated over a specific period to find out about their experience.
Check your insurance plan: it is important to find out the terms of your insurance coverage to confirm what you’re covered for and how much you may need to pay out of pocket. It is important to choose a physician who participates in your health plan to avoid paying much out-of-pocket.
Finding a neuropathy doctor is essential for your physical and mental health. Watch out for signs and use the above tips to choose the best physician for your health concerns.